Sunday 22 October 2017

"Believe, Explore, Inspire" Art Journal

Hi Everyone,

Monique here, it's my turn to share my Watercolour and Words creation.  I was so excited when I found out watercolours were part of the month's challenge.  I adore using watercolours to create and there is such a massive variety out there.....the creative inspiration is endless!

I was so lucky to be sent this pack of Dina Wakely Scribble Sticks.


I adored the rich colours in this set, and how they can be used in such a huge variety of ways.  
I decided to create an Art Journal page.  I had been brewing an idea in my head for some time, and I thought that this challenge provided the perfect opportunity to do it. 




I am still working on faces, but I am fairly happy with how this turned out.  I started by drawing the outline of my face, then I swirled some texture paste around the outside of the face as I wanted to create some texture in the hair, and some general outlines for the flowers.

I then began the process of drawing in my facial features and using light and shade to define the depth of the face.  I used these fabulous Prima Watercolour Pencils - Hair and Skin Tones to do this.



These pencils are divine for using on faces and hair - the range of tones help make the difficult (well for me, at least) task of shading skin and hair to make it appear realistic easy.

When I was happy with the face, I started working on the roses in my girl's hair.  I used the Dina Wakely Scribble sticks for this.  These sticks are wonderful.  They are creamy, rich in colour and just so versatile.  You can scribble the colour down and then use a paintbrush dipped in water to get the water colour effect, or you can dip the scribble stick straight into water and apply it like watercolour paint direct.

For my flowers, I did a bit of both.   I used the sticks dry to get a deeper colour around the edge of the petals and the centre of the flower, and then I dipped them in water to lighten the colour on the rest of the petals.

Next, I coloured the background with another of my favourites - Dylusions Paints.  I used Calyspso Teal, London Blue, and White Linen which I sponged on and blended together for depth.
I then stamped the circles and wedges using the Paper Artsy E3 Everything Art 03 (A5 set, trimmed on EZ) stamp set.  Again, I used the scribble sticks to add some colour to the wedges.  The way the pigment held over the top of the paint was amazing!!

Finally, I got a lot of the gorgeously inspiring words from the Marta's Stickers Small Messages Stickers and adhered them to some white cardstock.  I inked around the edges of each one and randomly placed them on the background of my page.  I wanted to give myself uplifting messages about trusting myself and believing in myself as I embark on the journey of my self discovery as an artist.  I lack a lot of confidence in myself in drawing and painting, and even though I have a long journey ahead, I wanted to look at this page and remind myself to never give up.

That's it from my today, hope you enjoyed my post.  Don't forget to do your own interpretation of this fabulous challenge and upload it into the correct album on the Scrap Matrix Shares page.

Enjoy your artistic journey, friends. xx

1 comment:

  1. What a gorgeous inspiring art journal page, love love love all the messages

    ReplyDelete